Why We Ought to Take Blogs A Little More Seriously

7 Apr

Why- we-ought-to-take-blogs-a-little-more-seriously

For some reason that I’ll never understand, a lot of people in the wonderful world of academia tend to hate bloggers.

Maybe not hate-hate, but they certainly don’t take blogs seriously.

Because apparently, if you’re not published in some fancy-pants journal, your work isn’t  important.

Makes sense, right?!

Well, no. No it doesn’t.

So in response to all the blogger-haters out there, here are a couple reasons why blogs are awesome and should be given all the credit they deserve.

1. They Allow for Thinking at All Levels

No, you don’t need to have a PhD to have a thought process. Brains, people! Everyone has one! So to believe that only those who somehow publish their thoughts in a journal or a book are entitled to USE their brains, is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The awesome thing about blogs is that so many people with different perspectives get to provide insight on various issues. I mean, even kids (so long as they know how to type) can give their two cents on any given topic. And we ought to listen to what they have to say. Because blogging allows for us to learn from ANYONE, really.

You don’t need to be rich to blog. You don’t have to be the CEO of a company. You don’t have to have 53,000 Twitter followers. And you don’t have to have 5 diplomas hanging on your wall. If you have thoughts, you’re able to put them out there. And I think that this diversity in ideas and in thought patterns is absolutely invaluable.

2. They Create the Opportunity for Oh-So-Important Dialogue

You know that wonderful little box at the end of most blogs that lets you comment on what you’ve read? Well, it’s kind of the bomb. Because comment boxes allow us to engage in dialogue.

Communication… Something that a lot of people these days are forgetting how to participate in.

While I’m not knocking journals and books, I think that blogs do provide additional value in that they allow for readers to reflect on things that they’ve read, and then engage in that dialogue immediately. Sometimes readers disagree with what they’ve read. Sometimes readers love it! Sometimes readers decide to share their own experiences, and like #1, this allows for various shared perspectives.

So yes, I’m definitely a fan of the comment box!

3. They Provide Real-Time Analyses of Situations

This one’s easy. Things are always happening. There are issues and problems and conferences that people are attending and new thoughts that are being introduced every. single. minute. of every day.

And while yes, it’s great if you can talk about these things in a fancy-pants journal, here’s the problem…

Journals and books take SO LONG to publish.

With blogs, you don’t have to wait.

You can experience/witness something and open your laptop, write, and publish. All of this in less than 15 mins. Heck- you can even do it from your phone these days! You don’t even need a computer.

And in this society that we live in…where we want updates and information 24/7…blogs definitely help us stay up-to-date on recent happenings.

4. Easy, Simple, and FREE Disbursement of Knowledge!

Maybe you catch up on all your favorite blogs first thing in the morning. Maybe you do it on your lunch break. Regardless, throughout the day, you’re bound to come across a post that you absolutely love…something you know is worth sharing.

Now with a book or a journal, you can see something you like and you can recommend that your friends check it out, but it requires time and money and energy…which let’s face it… few people have these days.

But blogs are amazing because you can share thoughts and ideas in like 2.5 seconds! You see something you want to share? AWESOME! Grab the link. Copy. Paste. Post on Facebook. Post on Twitter. Send link via text, etc. Some blogs have made it so easy that you just need to click a button.

So yea, I don’t know about you, but I’m all about free knowledge. And if it’s simple and easy to access, even better.

5. Connections All Over the World

When I’m chatting with someone from New Zealand, that’s pretty freaking awesome! I mean, I don’t travel often (since I’m poor), yet it’s such a great experience to be able to connect with people from all over the world. Not only is it super-cool, but connecting with industry professionals who happen to live on different continents is also a great opportunity to expand your network. Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll find yourself in New Zealand, unemployed, and the many connections you’ve  made over the years will provide you with opportunities that may otherwise not have been possible.

So, that’s it! Let’s stop hating blogs. Let’s stop hating bloggers. Because we all have something to contribute. And we don’t lose anything by gaining additional perspectives.

20 Responses to “Why We Ought to Take Blogs A Little More Seriously”

1. Callie April 7, 2014 at 11:56 am #

Love the part about expanding your network, I’ve never thought about it that way! Plus, you’re so on point about the turnaround time! Blogging gets it out there so fast and who doesn’t love that?

-Callie

2. kcloy1 April 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

Absolutely. Though, I do need to get a hang of the entire process, in Practice.

3. Thought of the Day Blog April 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

Yeah! Well said, Kayla!! :-)

4. Ola Allam April 7, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

I love this post! I agree with all you said.
    Starting a blog was one of the best decisions I’ve made. It helped me not only to share my opinions and advice with others, but also to get to know other writers who happen to be amazing and inspirational people. Never imagined I’d enjoy it that much.

5. Sfritzauthor April 7, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

Reblogged this on I write about things and you read them and commented:
    Blogging is very important and I think people who take time to put words into the world should be respected. Even if we don’t write for some big time web magazine!

6. Vanessa Alexandra April 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

Loved this. A few people have been hating on the fact that I’ve started blogging but it’s a great medium to explore topics, get quick information and it’s so easy to share via other platforms.

Vanessa x

7. manyofus1980 April 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm #

Well written, I love this post. We wanted to invite you to view our private blog if you want to? Request access if you like at http://manyofus1980.com/ hugs

8. Aja April 7, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Absolutely positively. But since they’re opinions generally they don’t count as “credible” sources.

9. MeredithMorckel April 7, 2014 at 4:55 pm #

Love your first point – so true.

10. Laura4NYC April 7, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Tots agree on 3! Especially after working in an environment that is highly academic-oriented (and rewarding the higher your graduate education is) and seeing how people with less education are not being taken seriously because of pure ignorance and lack of respect. Sometimes publishing should not take forever but only be a few clicks away. Especially when it comes to opinionated writing.

11. meredithwyatt1990 April 8, 2014 at 12:05 am #

Reblogged this on Speak Through Your Heart and Your Mind Will Follow and commented:
    This makes a lot of sense

12. tlalliwordpress April 8, 2014 at 1:10 am #

I completely agree with every statement. I actually am a kid, so the first point really related to me (I guess anyone under 18 y/o is a kid in your perspective)

13. totallytrips April 8, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

I agree. I’ve met some pretty awesome ppl just by reading their blogs because they talk about stuff I’m interested in. I also take most of the things I talk about in my daily life from what I read on blogs. When I say, “They say” I’m really talking about my friends that I read the blogs of :) And yes, now that I’m reading your blog we’re friends =^_^=

14. Kelly's HR Services, LLC April 8, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

Love it!

15. Jessica Johnson April 9, 2014 at 10:47 am #

Excellent points! I have connected with so many new people by reading, sharing and commenting on blogs! It is also a way for me to read so many different view points with a click of my mouse!

16. xoEvelynOrtizHasSpoken April 15, 2014 at 10:38 am #

Awesome post, I totally agree w/ all your valid points.

17. xoxchelseaj April 18, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Reblogged this on Chels in Wonderland.

18. Heidi June 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

My thoughts exactly. Their impatience with bloggers and anyone who has to live in the real world is one reason I get impatient with academics sometimes. Especially the ones who stand in front of the classroom and act like the students don’t know what they’re talking about when the students might have more real life experience.

19. google August 26, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Admiring the hard work you put into your site and detailed information you present.
    It’s great to come across a blog every once in a
    while that isn’t the same old rehashed material.
    Great read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS
    feeds to my Google account.

1. Re-blogged from GenYGirl… | Creating life with words: Inspiration, love and truth - April 13, 2014

[…] Why We Ought to Take Blogs A Little More Seriously […]