My Problem With All This Talk About the New Year

30 Dec

2014

With just a couple more days before the New Year, there’s a lot of talk about making resolutions.

Now I personally think resolutions are great, that’s not what I have an issue with.

Here’s what really frustrates me…

Sure, 2014 is full of promise. It’s a chance to start over or simply start something new.

But as the New Year approaches, we find ourselves making wishes.

We find ourselves begging and pleading…

2014… please be good to me.

And then when 2014 doesn’t turn out to be as good as you’d hoped for, suddenly it’s 2014’s fault. Suddenly you find yourself hoping for 2015…probably sometime around March.

But that’s kind of crazy, because a year is just a year.

What you put into that year… that’s what makes the difference.

You can have a terrible year, or you can have a good year.

Heck, you can have the best year of your life.

But it’s entirely up to you.

You won’t lose those 20 pounds you’re hoping you’ll lose without eating right and exercising.

You won’t land that new job if you’re not working on your resume and sending it out to potential employers.

You won’t make your relationship better if you sit in front of your new PS4 every night.

I don’t know how it happened or why it happened, exactly, but it seems that we’ve come to enjoy playing the role of victim in our everyday lives.

When something bad happens, it’s not our fault.

And when something good happens, it’s only because we got really lucky.

But my question, I guess, is the following: is there any personal accountability anymore?

We’re looking to 2014 as if it’s this magical place of hope and joy…

A place where suddenly we have more money and have better relationships and we’re just overall much happier.

But it’s just a freaking year.

It’s just a number.

After 1 comes 2 and after 2013 comes 2014.

Your 2014 will be what you make of it.

If you put effort into it, chances are, it’ll be a great year for you.

And if you sit back hoping that good things are just going to magically happen to you, then I’m sure you’ll find yourself disappointed.

So use this time wisely.

What I love the most about this time right before the New Year is that it’s an opportunity to reflect on the things that have happened over the past 365 days.

I ask myself a series of questions…

What’s been awesome?

What really sucked?

How can I do better?

What do I need to work on?

What do I want?

But most importantly…

How can I make that happen?

Because at the end of the day, you can make all the wishes you want while eating your grapes on New Years Eve, but if you don’t realize that the success of 2014 is up to YOU, you’ll just be making the same wishes next year.

So make your new year count.

Make it the best one by far.

Make it so good that when 2015 comes along you’re just so damn proud of yourself.

Because you were responsible for it.

Because you put forth the effort.

Because you went after everything you wanted.

And you got it.

Hope your new year is absolutely wonderful and that 2014 brings you the determination to be the very best version of yourself.

Really, there’s nothing better than that. xoxo, Kayla

13 Responses to “My Problem With All This Talk About the New Year”

1. Skinny and Me December 30, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I agree with this! People even do this on Birthdays, “I’m turning twenty-something, this will be my year!” and because it’s something new it’s as if they expect it to be better without putting any effort it-leading to a guaranteed let down.

2. millennialonthemove December 30, 2013 at 10:22 am #

I love this, Kayla! This is exactly the reason that I hesitate to set resolutions every year. This year, to make them more attainable I’m going to try the set of questions that you suggested. Happy New Year!

3. Megan December 30, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Great post! I never realized that so many people do put the blame on the year and completely ignore the fact that the only one who can make the year good is YOU. I personally set goals that I’d like to accomplish in each year instead of resolutions. That way, I have a nice little deadline to keep in mind.

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

4. Ernie Tamayo December 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Well said!

5. TK December 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

This is why my “resolutions” are more like goals. I’m not measuring myself based on whether or not I achieve all I want to, but on how much effort and progress I make towards certain goals.

I feel like people lose interest in resolutions as soon as January passes. By that time, all the gyms and self-help authors have their money. Everyone goes back to whatever it was they did before. I feel like it’s easier to set a simple goal (or goals) and take small steps toward them every day.

• Christen Perreault December 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

This is how I look at resolutions as well! Rather than setting lofty unreasonable expectations, I strive for smaller manageable goals that serve as benchmarks to my larger ambitions. This approach opens opportunities for action and monthly encouragement on progress. Paving the way for greater progress in the end.

6. Michelle December 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

How true!. The definition of resolution is to be resolved to a purpose and to be determined to make it happen. We need to work to make our resolutions happen, otherwise they would be called NY wishes. Great Post. Happy New Year.

7. Sean Breslin December 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Great post. It’s only your year if you work your tail off to make it your year.

8. Aja December 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

Totally agree. Accountability is everything. You can’t just wish for something, you have to make it happen.

9. Jess Herbine December 30, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Ugh, you said it. I haate when people use that phrase (or ones like it): “2014, please be good to me”. You get out of life what you give in! Great post :)

10. adrianarenee December 30, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

I so agree with everything you say! It’s so much better to have this sort of outlook on the year!

11. Kristen December 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

Great post! This is my exact thoughts about the new year, couldn’t have said it better myself. :)
    Happy New Year!