On Saying Yes to Everything

12 Dec

try-or-die1

A good friend of mine got really mad at me the other day.

She was venting to me about how terribly bored she is these days, and I kind of told her it was her own fault.

I’m not a mean person, I promise. I just thought it was important to tell her the truth.

Because my friend is basically a hermit.

She doesn’t try new things and she doesn’t put herself out there.

And she likes it that way, because it’s safe.

So I told her that she needs to open herself up to the universe.

“Open myself up to the universe??? What kind of Buddha Gandhi BS is that?”

(Yea, I really wasn’t her favorite person that day)

But the point I was trying to make to her is that it’s important to say yes to new experiences…it’s okay to try something a little crazy.

Because it’s so easy to develop a routine.

Wake up.

Eat.

Go to work.

Eat.

Go to school.

Eat.

Watch Netflix.

Go to bed.

Start all over again.

And while there’s nothing wrong with forming a routine that you’re comfortable with, nothing amazing is going to happen to you if you’re alone…locked inside your room…every. day.

Of course you’re going to be bored.

You’re not DOING anything.

All of us twentysomethings…we’re pretty much very new to life.

There are SO MANY THINGS that we’ve never tried before.

So we should go do them.

We should join a club.

We should learn a language.

We should go on an adventure.

And most importantly, we shouldn’t be afraid to say yes to opportunities that come our way.

For example, not too long ago, I was asked to be a guest on the Chelsea Krost radio show. And when I first received the news, I was like, “No way.”

Me??? Do a radio show? I don’t even like the sound of my own voice.

But then I remembered the advice that I give to other people…

comfort-zone-card

So I did it. And it was awesome. And now I can say that I’ve been on a radio show.

The point is this…

If you’re lucky, you’ll be given lots of opportunities in life that are going to scare the crap out of you.

And if you’re smart, you’ll consider taking them…

Because those are the ones that will change your life.

I recently came across an interview of the fabulous Marissa Mayer, Yahoo CEO.

When asked about her success and about how she got to be where she is today, this was her resopnse:

I always did something that I was a little not ready to do. That’s how you grow. That’s when you have your breakthrough.

So yes, I take on a lot of projects.  And yes, I usually have no clue what I’m doing.

But I’m learning and I’m growing and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

comfort-zone

30 Responses to “On Saying Yes to Everything”

1. Terry Irving December 12, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Reblogged this on Hey Sweetheart, Get Me Rewrite!.

2. Peter December 12, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Great article!

• Kayla Cruz December 12, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Thanks, Peter! Glad you liked!

3. jasonrleduc December 12, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Great post! All personal growth starts with taking a risk, even if it’s a small one. Love the graphic with the circles…it’s always good to get them to intersect!

• Kayla Cruz December 12, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Thanks, Jason! It’s a little scary sometimes, but well worth it. Thanks for reading! :)

4. julianstodd December 12, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Nice post :-). Get where the magic is!

5. millennialonthemove December 12, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Love this! This is especially important for people like me, who have moved to a new place. Getting out of your comfort zone is how you meet people and start having fun. When I first moved, my boyfriend and I just had each other — we stayed in most of the time, and like your friend I was BORED. So we started joining things like a social sports league — and now we’re starting to build a network of people in the area, which has helped us so much. But you can’t do that from your couch, you have to get out there! Thanks for sharing Kayla :)

• Kayla Cruz December 12, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Omg a social sports league sounds like so much fun! Glad you and your boyfriend are doing fun stuff like that! :D

6. cheyserrdelacruz December 12, 2013 at 11:50 am #

I’m with you on this one! Safe isn’t always good and risks aren’t always bad!

7. Robbie December 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I completely agree that we have to go out of our comfort zone to keep life interesting. I also think your post applies to goal setting. If we aren’t setting goals that make us a little uncomfortable, then we won’t feel as much accomplishment when we complete the goals. Small goals just aren’t as inspiring. Thanks for sharing :)

8. TK December 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

“I always did something that I was a little not ready to do.”

That’s a fantastic statement. I agree. You have to be willing to walk out of you safe-zone sometimes. Part of the thrill of life comes from risk.

9. Thirty-Something Lindy December 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

great ideas here! And so true.

10. Jess Herbine December 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Oh I love that – “where the magic happens”. That’s such a great way of phrasing it, it turns the advice of moving outside of your comfort zone into one that applies to all aspects of life: not just work, social, relationships, travel, but all of the above and everything in between! Definitely using that one in the future :)

11. Michelle December 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

The only way to take advantage of opportunities is to recognise that opportunities exist. Lucky people see opportunities everywhere.

12. Linda Murray December 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Thank you Kayla! This 40-something stuck-in-a-rut, semi-hermit is now adding “Scare the crap out of myself” to her list of resolutions for 2014. :-)

13. goldyyancha December 13, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Reblogged this on Sang Phleg Mel Cholic and commented:
    What she said!

14. Mary Denise December 13, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

I couldn’t agree more. And this doesn’t just apply to twentysomething people.

I’m still two years from turning twenty, but I realized that nothing good would come out of just staying in your comfort zone, which I have been doing for the last few years of my life. Playing safe is alright, if you want to be stuck in your own little world.

This year, my little world ended up not being really what I wanted, so I had to go out into the world and create the kind of life that would make me happy. I tried new things, joined a club and created a band, and I finally felt that my life wasn’t so empty anymore, compared to when I first entered college.

Great article! :)

15. Mary Denise December 13, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Reblogged this on Dear Diary and commented:
    This is a great article from Kayla. Probably will add that to my New Year’s resolution, along with believing in myself. These two are important in self-growth. :)

16. notforbesmag December 14, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

You’re totally right! It’s way too easy to become a hermit and forget how to live.

17. southernlgldiva December 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I really needed to read this today. I have gotten myself stuck in a rut that I am desperate to get out of. Thanks for this post.

18. southernlgldiva December 15, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Reblogged this on The Southern Diva Chronicles and commented:
    This is a great piece on Kayla’s blog. It really got me to thinking about my life is a good way. I’ve been so bored lately. I hate my job. I rarely go out because my job tires and stresses out. But what ties me to it? Me. It’s time to live! I’m 30….I’m still young!

19. mattandresen December 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

I wish there were more Gen Y peeps doing what you are doing! Great stuff!

20. Somali Chakrabarti December 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

I like your writing style.You make it simple and yet convey an important message. Keep up the good work.

21. The Passion Hunt January 5, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

I love this! Thanks for posting! :)

22. E. Drue January 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

I just discovered your blog via All Groan Up and I look forward to returning!

The idea of forcing yourself out of your comfort circle is great and does help you grow, but how do you balance the idea of doing something out of your comfort zone and developing and operating out your strengths?

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts. :)

Thanks!
    Elizabeth Drue

1. On Saying Yes to Everything | My Random Life - December 12, 2013

[…] Could not agree more. href=’http://lostgenygirl.com/2013/12/12/on-saying-yes-to-everything/’>On Saying Yes to […]

2. Just Do It | The Making Of: Katrina Owens PR - December 13, 2013

[…] I read an awesome post on one of my fave blogs – Lost Gen Y Girl (I actually feel like the blog’s owner, Kayla, and I are soul sisters, because I tend to […]

3. Millennials: Don’t Be Afraid to Operate Solo | Gen Y Girl - December 19, 2013

[…] in your twenties to help build confidence and develop self-awareness and efficiency. Don’t miss out on life because you’re afraid of operating solo – as you get older, you’ll be spending more and more time alone, and that can be a wonderful […]

4. My One Simple Resolution for 2014: Scare the Crap Out of Myself | Downshifter's Journal - January 6, 2014

[…] recent post On Saying Yes to Everything by one of my favorite bloggers, Kayla Cruz, on her blog Gen Y Girl, really resonated with me. The […]