5 Life Lessons for Twentysomethings from Lorde’s Royals

18 Nov

large

Today I’m thrilled to publish the following guest post written by Lisa Crocco. I’m a huge fan of Lorde, and I love how her music is something that we can all relate to. Have a great week everyone! Hope you like!

***************************************************************************************

If you haven’t heard the song “Royals” from Lorde (Ella Yelich-O’Connor)- the talented, sixteen year old from New Zealand, then you must not have turned on your radio for weeks. This catchy song has been sung, hummed, covered, and jammed to on repeat enough to hit the top of Billboard Hot 100 chart. Not only is the song super catchy, but its message is also powerful.

When we break down some of the lyrics we can see how Lorde wrote a song that is actually relevant to the majority of our lives.

‘I’m not proud of my address’

Unless your postal code is 90210 chances are at one point or another you have been embarrassed by your hometown.

Let your roots and upbringing push you to make a better life for yourself and get out of your little 236 person run-down town if that’s what you want. Go find someplace to live that makes you finally feel like you are home.

‘We’ll never be royals, it don’t run in our blood’

Unless you get your food served on gold-plated china with a diamond-encrusted spork to match, then you unfortunately weren’t born into a royal family.

We have to work twice, if not three times as hard, since life didn’t hand us that beautiful, beautiful gene that Prince Harry and William have. But just because you might not be royalty it doesn’t mean you lack the opportunity to be great and do wonderful things.

‘We count our dollars on the train’

How many minimum wage jobs can one young person work at once? It seems like nowadays there is so much pressure to earn money and lots of it. We are also expected to make this wad of cash while maintaining a 4.0 GPA, being a community leader, having a social life, and watching marathons on Netflix—we can’t do it all!

So we struggle financially and we suck it up and deal with it. We appreciate the pennies we do have and try to spend wisely while we can…since we have no other choice.

‘We aren’t caught up in your love affair’

Focus on yourself, your goals, and your passions. Ignore the criticisms from those who belittle your ambitions. Don’t get wrapped up in the hype of what everyone else thinks and says is the happening thing to do or be. You will get lost and getting lost is scary.

‘Let me live that fantasy’

There is nothing wrong with living in this little fantasy world that you paint for yourself in your mind. Dream up a life that you have always imagined and then have the courage and determination to make it a reality.

You can be the queen bee.

Lisa Crocco: As a senior at Illinois State University double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science, I hope to one day work on political campaigns as part of the communication team.

I like to think I can speak Swedish, Spanish and sarcasm fluently, but I constantly fail at all three of those. Despite my hectic schedule of blogging, interning and compulsive list-making, I find time to nap, read and watch re-runs of the West Wing.

If you have any questions for me or would love to connect, reach out to me via Twitter or Email.

9 Responses to “5 Life Lessons for Twentysomethings from Lorde’s Royals”

1. Terry Irving November 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Reblogged this on Hey Sweetheart, Get Me Rewrite!.

2. pikachoo4u November 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Lorde is amazing. I’m already drooling for her next song <3

3. c4crowned November 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Great post!

4. bulletsandblessings November 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Reblogged this on Bullets and Blessings and commented:
    Just heard this song the other night and finally understand why everyone is digging it. Besides the catchy beat, it’s the “Everyday Struggle” anthem for today’s twenty-somethings. I know I can relate to living off Chef Boyardee for lunch for months just to see J. Cole in concert, patching part-time jobs together since companies avoid providing health insurance like the plague, saying “Retirement huh?” because I barely make enough money to live now to think about saving for golden years and spending all day on the computer between my day job and blogging hoping I can make a name for myself so one day I can snag an enlightening yet terrifying interview with Kanye West.

Gen Y Girl breaks down why we all can relate to Lorde’s “Royals”.

5. Lizi November 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

I like that this song has a much better message than a lot of other songs on the radio. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

6. girlychristina November 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

What a great run down on one of my favorite songs! It’s so true that we(especially women) are expected to do so much nowadays. On top of that, we are expected to have babies too. Sheeesh! Can a girl get a break? lol.
    I love your blog, btw!! <3 Super cute and girly!!! <3
    Christina

7. The Passion Hunt November 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

She’s 16?!?! What?! I had no freaking idea!

8. The Nestegg Repairman December 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

Could not believe she’s only a teenager! They’re getting younger and younger and better and better these days.

1. Keeping You Posted: Part Three | Lisa Crocco - January 7, 2014