Why NOT Taking Time Off Is Stupid

11 Nov
watermarked-never-get-so-busy-making-a-living-that-you-forget-to-make-a-life

motivateddecor.wordpress.com

Some people never take vacation.

Worse yet, some people complain when OTHER people take vacation.

time off

The belief, these days, in the lovely corporate world -which P.S. I have no patience for- is that if your butt isn’t glued to your desk Monday-Friday 8 hours a day, you’re not a hard worker.

It’s a concept so sad that just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

Then, it makes me want to punch someone.

In the face.

Repeatedly.

We’ve somehow gotten to the point where people are scared of taking vacation. People are scared of taking time off.

Why?

Because they’re afraid that if they do, they’ll be considered a slacker.

There’s Amy…she’s going on a cruise next week…OBVIOUSLY she’s not very committed to her job.

*Shake my head*

I guess what I’m really trying to say is that it’s very possible to be a hard-working super-awesome employee

AND

Someone who enjoys using their allotted vacation time.

It’s a beautiful concept, work-life balance.

Some people really ought to try it.

You know, I’m pretty sure we can go to work and be efficient and get things done and STILL have time for a life.

STILL have time for ourselves.

And STILL have time for our families.

I don’t think we should have to choose between work and a life, and I certainly don’t think we should have to feel guilty about it.

So now that the holidays are quickly approaching, talk to your boss about taking a few days off.

Even if it’s just one day.

Eat.

Travel.

See new things.

Enjoy a quiet day by yourself to unwind.

Make time for your family.

Make time for your friends.

Laugh at something ridiculous.

Yes, it’s important to do good work.

But it’s important to do good life too.

22 Responses to “Why NOT Taking Time Off Is Stupid”

1. meredithwyatt1990 November 11, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Reblogged this on Speak Through Your Heart and Your Mind Will Follow and commented:
    I can definitely relate and agree with this

• Tinker Barnett November 12, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Me too! I once had a government job where the supervisor gave awards to people who worked their days off and always stayed over when needed. I went up and asked one awarded person how she did it and she explained that she was getting a divorce, had lots of time, needed the money real bad and had nothing else to do. This is the kind of life that employer wished for all of us.

2. TK November 11, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

I 100% agree. I happen to work at a place that provides so many days of paid vacation. This vacation time is a use it or lose it type of deal. It won’t roll over into the new year. Since the holidays are always busy for me, I didn’t use any unnecessary days. Now, I can take a break during the hectic season by taking the last half of December off. Thank God, because I will be moving all over the place for holiday parties.

I have a co-worker who is not taking her vacation. I think she’s only taken a few over the whole year. I don’t understand. In my opinion, even if all you’re going to do is sit on your ass and watch TV, you should take your paid vacation. Why on earth not?

• Kayla Cruz November 12, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Yay!!! Glad you’ll be taking some time off! Hope you have a blast! :)

3. Sueyq November 12, 2013 at 4:13 am #

Amen!! I just came off of vacation doing things that I wanted to do in my life. mostly diy things, but I love doing them. smile

• Kayla Cruz November 12, 2013 at 9:20 am #

DIY things are so much fun!!! Good for you :D

4. Maureen Casile November 12, 2013 at 9:17 am #

There’s a lot of research out there that shows that people do much better work, are more productive, and are more creative when they are well-rested and have a life. A lot of newer companies, especially tech companies, get this. Many have initiated unlimited vacation, leaving people at their own discretion about when it’s time to recharge and reconsider what matters in life. But it’s still fringe management to most organizations.

I think one of the major problems is that organizational cultures evolve slowly. Many organizations that have been around for a while are still rooted in McGregor’s Theory X–that is the belief that all workers (not just millennials) are lazy and borderline dishonest. They’ll work if they are closely supervised and in a constant state of being rewarded and/or punished for every little move they make. McGregor contrasted this with Theory Y–the belief that people want to work and find it intrinsically rewarding as long as the work meets certain criteria. If you subscribe to Theory Y, then the job should be to design work that people want to do and to provide the support for them to do it.

There’s a lot of theoretical and empirical support for Theory Y. But it just isn’t comfortable for a lot of managers, or politicians–because it puts them in a back-seat, supportive type role to those they are supervising. Worse yet, all of business and education is currently in a mad ‘accountability’ craze. People want to document every mundane detail of the work and quickly apply rewards and/or punishments everywhere they can. It is crushing all of the joy and the meaning out of work. So I think that, in a lot of modern workplaces, if unlimited vacation were available, people would never show up. But I think we need to ask ourselves, if fear of starvation is the only reason anyone would want to work here, can we do better?

• Kayla Cruz November 12, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Maureen!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! Excellent response. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. Agree 100% with every word you wrote. Well said.

5. millennialonthemove November 12, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Hi Kayla,

Thanks for the follow! Great post and good advice.. I think young professionals in particular are afraid to take time off. But, if you don’t establish your work/life balance in the beginning, you are setting up unrealistic expectations and you WILL get burnt out.

–Kelsey

6. carolyn November 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Too true! My husband is just now taking two weeks off to decompress after a year of great successes… I should hope his employer understands that he needs this time to recharge, reboot and re-remember what he works so hard for – he does it for his enjoyment, sure, but also for his family… he says it feeds his soul to spend time with his kids. He’ll go back and even better worker I am sure!

7. Tiffany Khyla November 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

I completely agree! I’ve taken two week-long vacations in the past year, and I’ve had some people say “didn’t you just go on vacation?” when I hand in another time off slip for the upcoming summer. It’s so important to not get so bogged down at work. You need to get away from the office every once in awhile, even if it’s just an hour for lunch (some people don’t even do that anymore! Crazy!)

8. Sean Breslin November 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

I’m so lucky to have a boss who values our time off. It hasn’t always been that way with past bosses.

9. D.A. Vereen November 18, 2013 at 9:56 am #

I try to encourage my people to take time off. I have a couple of managers that never seem to use all of their time off despite my constant prodding. The ironic thing is that they are female. One has a family. One does not. They say they feel bad about taking time off or leaving early to take care of personal matters. They also constantly worry about getting behind – even though they are always on time or early with their assignments and goal completion. I appreciate their work ethic, but I also worry about their personal well-being.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to better handle this situation? I have thought about going as far as deactivating their badges on Fridays so that they get a day or two off each month.

10. Louise Broadbent November 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

I’m very lucky. Where I work, management are always on your back to take holiday because they don’t want you to burn out. The only problem is we all have too much to do to have time off. There is no good time to take holiday: there are bad times and don’t-even-think-about-it-times. I’ve learned to just take it in any time that isn’t the latter.

11. southernlgldiva November 18, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

I LOVE this article. People don’t understand how even just ONE day off will improve your mood.

12. Megan November 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

I LOVE this! I find it so silly that some people don’t take vacations, and even worse, companies that don’t allow for time off or look down upon you for taking a day off. I used to work at a place like that and got so fed up that I quit!

xo Megan, LushtoBlush.com

• Kayla Cruz November 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Hi Megan! Thanks so much for reading! Glad you feel the same way…and good for you for taking a stand. Hope you’re in much better situation today. :)

• Megan November 21, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Thank you! I definitely am :)

13. wzachmorris November 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

I like where you´re head is at. keep on digging.

14. Kim Fernando November 26, 2013 at 11:10 am #

1) I share your impatience for the modern corporate structure, even though I know that I’m blessed from some of its perks, and 2) I always tell my boss – I believe God gave us 24 hours in a day for a reason: 8 for work, 8 for sleep, 8 for family and friends. My life cannot revolve around my office.

15. badgrad December 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Your time off is part of your total compensation package. I don’t hear anyone asking to have their paycheck held so they don’t seem greedy.

1. Here’s Why NOT Taking Time Off from Work… Is Stupid | The Savvy Intern by YouTern - November 21, 2013

[…] this post, YouTern thanks our friends at Gen Y […]