Small Changes = Big Results

5 Feb

Change 3

Last week I had a HUGE dilemma. Really, it was catastrophic.

It was the weekend, I had somewhere to be for the first time in forever, and I HAD NOTHING TO WEAR.

Before I continue, please let me say that this is not a post about fashion.

It’s not about clothes, nor is it a story pertaining to any of my previous shopping trips to the mall.

You’re welcome. Now, I’ll continue.

So how could I fix this? Without even thinking much, the solution was pretty obvious to me.

Clearly, I needed to go shopping ASAP and spend all my money on a new wardrobe.

Genius!

But then I stared at my closet for a good fifteen minutes. I mean I just stood there and stared at it.

Here, this is my closet…

2013-02-04 19.49.33

I know, it’s a disaster. I’ll get around to organizing it this weekend. Promise.

But here’s the deal…You see that piece of white wall to the left? Well, behind that wall is a continuation of my closet. The problem, however, is that when I stand in front of my closet and try to decide what to wear, I can’t see anything that’s behind that wall, all the way to the left. So what happens? The clothes that’s all the way to the left of my closet…I forget that it exists.

And then I cry because I have nothing to wear.

So here’s what I did…

I shuffled my closet around and shifted the stuff that was all the way to the left, right to the smack center of my closet. And after doing so, I had a brand spankin’ new wardrobe.

Oh…and I spent no money.

Success!

Now I’m sure some of you are reading this and thinking um…okay…so she rearranged her closet…so what?

So why do I think this is important enough to write about?

Because it was a small change that made a HUGE difference.

It seems that these days, young people in particular, whenever we’re faced with a dilemma, we tend gravitate towards brash solutions.

We hate our jobs? We quit.

We feel that our life is devoid of meaning? We pack our bags and take a 7 month trip to Europe…all expenses paid by our student loans that will end up consuming our entire adult life leaving us broke forever.

Now yes, granted, sometimes drastic measures need to be taken. That’s fine.

But more often than not, we just need to relax, take a deep breath, and see things differently.

The solutions to our problems are not always great, giant, life-changing events.

I once read in an article somewhere that just a tiny change in your daily routine can impact your mood dramatically.

So listen, tomorrow…when you wake up hating life because you’ve got to go to that job that’s terrible… take a different route. Drive with the windows down. Decorate your office. Buy a plant and put in your office. Read a book during your lunch break. Go take a walk during your lunch break. Have a 30 second dance party. You might just see that it helps a bit.

But maybe your job REALLY sucks. Maybe you really DO need to quit. Do you really need to quit right away? How about you try making small changes leading up to that? Be smart about it. Don’t just get angry one day and throw in the towel. Figure out what else you can do. Figure out what else you WANT to do. Network. Work on a project on the side. Cultivate a new skill. But do all those things while you have a job.

Because a huge change, a big change…that might not be the best kind of change at all.

You’re feeling that you’re lacking purpose in your life and suddenly feel the urge to take off for a year and travel around the world like a nomad?

That’s cool. But is that the only thing that you can do that will give you that sense of purpose and adventure? Can you maybe make it a point to travel on the weekends? Can you join a club of some sort? Can you find an organization to volunteer at? Can you take up photography? Can you learn a new language?

You see…that problem you have…there may be more than one solution.

You just need a different perspective. You need to see it differently. So change the way you see things.

Change 1

44 Responses to “Small Changes = Big Results”

1. kodorczyk February 5, 2013 at 3:55 am #

I really love this post. It’s true that sometimes you just have to approach things from a different angle and they take on a whole new meaning. You go girl!

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Thanks so much! Glad you liked :D

2. devanmarieperine February 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Love this, Kayla! Just what I needed to hear — I catch myself getting stuck in a rut, and think by continuing to do the same things over and over again, it’ll somehow yield different results. (saying it this out loud makes me realize just how stupid it is) Helped me think about some changes I can make — thank you!

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Hey Devan! Isn’t that the worst? When we’re in a rut? Good to know that by just taking some baby steps, we can get out of it. Good luck!

3. jomcdermott February 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Very wise!

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Thanks, Jo! Good to hear from you! Hope all is well :)

• jomcdermott February 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Things are great. I enjoyed your recent post.

4. kelhitt13 February 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

This is perfectly stated. I know so many people who jump into action when a problem occurs, usually making the wrong decision in the heat of the moment. Preach on!!

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

God knows I’ve done that a few times. A few times too many. So much better to think things through a little. You’ll usually make a MUCH better decision. Thanks for reading!

5. ThomasMayesJr February 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Well said. Here is a TED Talk discussing the same concept: http://on.ted.com/Sutherland

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

This is great, Thomas! Thanks so much for sharing!

6. A February 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

I totally needed to hear this today! I was so bummed over all the things I couldn’t buy today at the mall- maybe I just need to go home and organize my closet. Shopping for free does sound ideal!

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Hahaha! DO IT! Then think about how much money you saved. You can still look fab without spending a penny! Thanks for reading :)

7. Blue Petal February 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Looks like we think alike! And you are all the way on the other globe. :-)

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

Woooohooo! Love to connect with people from all over! Hope you’re having a great day :)

• Blue Petal February 9, 2013 at 6:13 am #

sure. I actually sent you mail. Wonder if you received it.

8. Blue Petal February 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Plus I have a fetish for clothes and shoes too! omgosh! ;-)

9. lightscameraangie February 7, 2013 at 6:40 am #

I like how you tied changing your view and changing your closet together.

• Kayla Cruz February 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

Thanks! I was so happy when I realized I could save money!!! Thanks for reading :)

10. 20somethinginthe21st February 7, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

This would of helped me out with some people that are going through hard times in life. Sometimes you want to offer than a bunch of grand solutions but in reality it is the small things that can help the most.

11. Katie Robinson February 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

I love this because its true! That’s been my whole kick lately. I’m described as a happy person in general, but when I notice something’s off I do something to make me smile. That’s actually only of my goals for the year is to do a little thing just to make me smile, so the other day I made a snowman! …little snow… big happy smile on my face and probably a lot of neighbors! Little things go the farthest!

12. Camryn Rabideau February 12, 2013 at 3:51 am #

30-second dance parties are my saving grace! Awesome analogy.

13. Ryan Rohlf February 13, 2013 at 5:35 am #

Kayla, this post is fantastic. It’s also very true. I used to always make brash decisions. I’ve since taught myself to work through the problems, but a reminder is always nice! I look forward to reading your future posts, such great information!

14. mewhoami February 13, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Excellent post and great advice. Simple solutions to every day problems. Thank you!

15. ctaretz February 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Great post… I find when I panic nothing gets resolved… The best thing I could ever do is stay put and work towards something better, using smarter choices and not letting opportunity pass me by…. Well written post, and thanks for reminding me about about the lesson of first things first.

16. Lejean February 21, 2013 at 8:04 am #

Hi, this post inspired a post of mine. A lot of the time all it takes is a small change to make all the difference in the world. We’re always overthinking situations when the best solutions are always right in front of us.

17. screamingatom2013 February 21, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Reblogged this on screamingatomblog.

18. Morgan Campbell February 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

A 7 month trip to Europe financed by student loans sounds amazing right now. Instant gratification is the reason that I am in credit card debt right now. What feels good now, will sometimes bite you in the ass later!

19. shalamyers February 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

Great post! I find myself almost making brash decisions all the time when something at work doesnt happen the way I planned it to. It doesnt really mean that I hate my job.. i just hate that current situation.. but that usually clouds my judgement.. small change :)

20. Samy Ouzeau February 27, 2013 at 8:16 am #

So true! Great post! thx for sharing what would seem as a trivial thing to do (sorting out your wardrobe) as something much deeper than that. Just proves that wisdom is not necessarily found in books and in spiritual journeys but in anything that is happening around us. From sorting out a wardrobe to a walk in the park. I just would like to share a thought I had whilst reading your post: Small changes are created through a certain awareness and control over what is happening. However, big changes are created out of frustration and lack of control. The first one, being less scary is more likely to last and one will be more able to benefit from it as the focus will be more on the journey rather than on the destination. On the other hand, big changes can create a sense of insecurity, fear of not having enough capacity which will create all sort of negative feelings which one will eventually want to avoid. When we look at nature, everything follows a certain process, with certain stages over a certain period of time. The wonders of nature are the physical proof of what you talked about. An abrupt climate change will cause a wide range of severe effects. What about an abrupt change in our life? It may take away something you were not happy about but what other things is it going to bring instead?

21. rightways March 1, 2013 at 7:58 am #

Nice blog.

22. redlipstickmama March 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

It is a fun and reflective post. Keep it up!

23. Mèo Lười Việt April 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

At the begining they hate it, they rebel. Then gradually they accept what they can’t change, become a bag of meat, just be a small part of a huge machine called society!!! :D

24. fake Dolce Gabbana April 28, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Hello, your articles here Small Changes = Big Results | Gen Y Girl to write well, thanks for sharing

25. Bob jackson July 8, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Excellent observation…Provides much food for thought.

RJ

1. Small Changes = Big Results « 20 Lines A Day - February 6, 2013

[...] Small Changes = Big Results. [...]

2. Link love (Powered by hard talk and apple pie) | NZ Muse - February 10, 2013

[...] LIFE Gen Y Girl reminds us that small changes can have big results [...]

3. A Small Change that Makes a huge Difference « Private Business Plans - February 21, 2013

[...] while I was going through certain blogs I came across this great article, http://lostgenygirl.com/2013/02/05/small-changes-big-results/ which sparked an idea. The article focuses on how we sometimes rush into making big decisions that [...]

4. Small Changes = Big Results | tenandzen - March 6, 2013

[...] Small Changes = Big Results. [...]

5. Small Job Changes Often Bring the Biggest Results | The Savvy Intern by YouTern - April 22, 2013

[...] this post, YouTern thanks our friends at Gen Y [...]

6. Procrastination In Our Twenties & Why We Need To End It | Gen Y Girl - June 27, 2013

[…] Small Changes, Big Results […]

7. Finishing What We’ve Started | Gen Y Girl - August 29, 2013

[…] Small Changes, Big Results […]

8. Networking Advice That Doesn’t Suck | Gen Y Girl - September 23, 2013

[…] Small Changes, Big Results […]

9. What to Do When You Take a Leap of Faith and Fail | Gen Y Girl - October 15, 2013

[…] Small Changes, Big Results […]