A Gen-Yer’s Hopes for 2013

13 Jan

tumblr_mfxnlc9gBr1qacmz1o1_400

So I’m a little late here but I’m still gunna say it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2012 was wonderful to me in a lot of ways and I hope it was for you too.

But for some people, 2012 sucked. For some people, 2012 was the worst.

So here are my hopes for all of you…for everyone…my hopes for 2013…

I hope that you’ll do something different.

Even if it scares you.

Especially if it scares you.

I hope that you’ll discover something that you’re passionate about.

A person, a place, a thing…whatever.

I hope that you’ll travel.

Somewhere far and awesome.

I hope you’ll try to mend something that’s broken.

At the same time, I hope that you’ll accept that there are certain things that can’t be fixed and when that’s the case, I hope you’ll learn to move on and let go.

I hope you’ll find something that inspires you.

I hope that you’ll take risks, that you’ll take chances.

I hope that you won’t let fear immobilize you.

I hope you’ll stand up for something you believe in.

I hope you’ll be nice to those around you.

Even when you want to punch them in the face.

I hope that you’ll make a difference, even in the smallest of ways.

I hope you’ll save a bit of money.

I hope that you won’t take yourself too seriously.

I hope that you’ll get that job you want or that person you’ve been stalking on Facebook.

But when that doesn’t happen, I hope that you won’t get discouraged.

I hope that you’ll pick yourself up and work twice as hard to get something better.

I hope that you’ll realize that life is really short and because of that, you won’t indulge yourself in petty arguments about stuff that DOESN’T matter.

Instead, I hope you’ll spend more time with the people and things that DO matter.

I hope that you’ll make friends.

I hope that you’ll take every opportunity.

I hope that you’ll learn something new.

Even if it’s by reading Wikipedia.

I hope that you’ll be courageous.

Because we need more people in the world like that.

I hope you’ll be a little silly.

I hope that you’ll laugh at yourself for it.

And I hope that you won’t have regrets.

Because regrets suck.

But more than anything, I hope that you’ll believe that 2013 will be better.

I hope that you’ll make sure of it.

Because what I love most about a new year is the chance at a fresh start.

A chance to BE better and DO better.

And we can do that, but we have to want it.

Best of luck to all of you.

21 Responses to “A Gen-Yer’s Hopes for 2013”

1. writerjuliet January 13, 2013 at 8:09 am #

And to you Kayla!

2. Kate January 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

That is the loveliest new years message. Thank you! Have an amazing 2013, from one Gen Y girl to another.

3. Brianna Wagenbrenner January 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

I love the idea of New Year’s hopes! Great post! Best of luck to you too!

4. Sarah Stackhouse January 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

I feel the EXACT same way! I always love having a billion things to do to keep me busy, to keep me from being bored and to keep me from getting dull or stuck in a rut. I like challenges and learning and growing. Even if it causes me a great amount of stress every now and again.

5. shreyanswers January 14, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Hi Kayla, I would first like to wish you a very happy new year. I’ve been following your blog for more than an year now. And I must say your writing has improved immensely. It’s so much more refined now. Also, I really connected with this post, as my year began with Bungee jumping and now I’ve decided quit my job. Just like you I am also trying to become a happier person this year, while leaving my comfort zone to explore new territories. Wishing you all the very best!

6. C January 15, 2013 at 12:59 am #

Reblogged this on Cat's City Life and commented:
    A little belated for the beginning of 2013, but the sentiment is just as wonderful today as on January 1st, as on every other day of the year.

7. GiggsMcGill Jill January 15, 2013 at 5:07 am #

This was wonderful. I love all your wishes, and hope that it IS how the new year is for all of us! Great piece!

8. mellissaanne January 17, 2013 at 2:47 am #

It’s always great to have some new years ambitions! Happy New Years to you too! I noticed that you were following my old blog, but I started a new one! Check it out: http://thecraftyfrugaler.wordpress.com/

9. elizabethdamico January 22, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Beautifully written!

10. Katie January 23, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Great message! And to you on all accounts! :)

11. brunchforeverymeal January 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Great post! I’m hoping for all those things too! Thanks for the follow!

12. Jess J. January 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

I adore this. Love Love Love. Such a hopeful post for a year still so very full of possibility and goodness.

13. baysmitten January 24, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Shrewd pieces of advice! I just noticed you are a new follower for my blog. Thank you! I haven’t read all your pieces yet, but I liked what I saw thus far, especially your thoughts on why being the youngest in the office sucks. I wish I could say I graduated at 20, but I’m 28 now and I just got my BA this December of 2012. Anywhos, finding a job right now is quite a challenge, especially since most of the jobs out there are being snagged by candidates with advanced degrees. Your job experiences put you in really advantageous position for sure! Goodluck on your Master’s endeavor! I’ll have to take the GRE this year to be able to do that as well. Looking forward to reading more about your thoughts on the workworld.

14. proportionsinlife January 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

This is a great read, even now that January is nearly over.
    Life is good.

15. Quirky Little Planet January 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

I love this – so inspiring! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope 2013 brings you all you wish for!

16. Eddie Green February 4, 2013 at 6:49 am #

Good content. I wrote about experiences similar to yours in my booklet “Learning Life for ages 0 – 25″ Hope to hear more from you. (4lifeq.com)

17. stephanieatoxford February 4, 2013 at 11:54 am #

Well said!

18. Laura Hedgecock February 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Nice wishes! Right back at ya! Thanks for visiting my blog too.

19. llpllc February 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Kayla: A couple of thoughts. First, thank you for following my blog (leadershipandlifepotential); I am honored. I strive to offer value to everyone I connect with, so don’t hesitate to let me know how I can add value to you.
    Second, I think you hit it right on the head with your comments about wanting to DO and BE more, and the key is to BELIEVE…not wish. BELIEVE…
    People who believe in themselves and what they are striving to achieve will be successful.

I look forward to reading more of what you have to say! Laura

20. affirmagise February 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Thank you for following my blog. =)
    Love this blog – late it may be – but all those things are on my list too – and so I trust you achieve them too!

1. A Gen-Yer’s Hopes for 2013 | Shift Happens! - January 13, 2013