Being Overwhelmed Isn’t All That Bad

18 Dec

Canvas

I’m having a panic attack. Pretty sure that’s what this is.

I have a headache, I can’t focus, and I’m about seconds away from throwing my cat against the wall because he keeps climbing all over my keyboard as I type.

God, that’s annoying.

But anyway, I’ve got a lot on my mind.

I haven’t finished Christmas shopping. I have a meeting on Wednesday that I kind of need to be prepared for.

And oh, I’m leaving to North Carolina in less than 9 days.

SO. MUCH. TO. DO.

I nearly cringe when I see how long it’s been since I last wrote.

I’ve just been so busy with new ideas, new projects, finishing the semester at school, dealing with work, going to CrossFit, finding time to read all these books I keep ordering and when I really need some down-time, catching up on Justified with the man-friend.

People laugh at me all the time when I tell them about a new project I’m working on or some new venture I’m exploring.

They always ask me, “Don’t you think you’re going to be a bit overwhelmed by all that?”

Well, yea. I definitely will be.

But I love every second of it.

I love having a million things to do.

When I don’t have anything to do, I slip into some sort of mild weird depression thing where I contemplate my existence and cry to hipster music while snuggling with my cat.

Okay, it’s not THAT bad.

But still, I don’t like having NOTHING to do.

There’s nothing that makes me happier than trying new things and taking on new projects. Reading new books. Traveling to new places.

Without that, my life would suck. I’d be bored all the time.

I love the picture at the top of this post because it really describes how I feel about life.

I want to experience ALL of it. Not some watered-down version.

I don’t want a half-assed life.

I want it to be spectacular.

Because at the end of the day, life’s way too short to not live fully.

To not throw all the paint you can on that canvas.

There are WAY too many people who spend their days doing nothing. People with no passion.

And it really makes me sad.

Because really, what’s life without passion?

Pretty lame, if you ask me.

So if I have to endure a few more panic attacks, that’s fine.

I’ll learn to deal with them.

I’ll be known as that crazy chick who’s got so much going on she can’t even keep her head on straight.

But at least I’ll have done something.

8 Responses to “Being Overwhelmed Isn’t All That Bad”

1. I love being busy. The panic attacks are a pretty sure sign your not wasting a minute! Enjoy the hectic times. Some of my best days and most creative thoughts were formed in anxiety induced days.

• writerjuliet December 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Thanks for the reminder that light always conquers the darkness!

2. Vi December 18, 2012 at 3:06 am #

I know those moments. There were a few times this past semester where I felt like crying because I had so much stuff to do but it really motivates you to be as efficient as possible. Now that my semester’s over (I’ve been home with nothing to do for 4 days now) I get so bored that I don’t know what to do with my life. Sitting on my couch catching up of my favorite shows might sound nice but makes me feel horrible about myself afterwards.

I don’t know what kind of routines you like to go through when times are a-crazy, but I like to just take a few minutes and make a to-do list in order of priorities and plan out specific time frames for each task. It sounds a little rigid, but that’s how I like to get things done and it makes sure I make time for each thing.

3. writerjuliet December 18, 2012 at 7:14 am #

Hey Kayla – good to hear from you again! Thanks for your post – I so relate and often feel overwhelmed by all the things going on in my life. The feeling of having many plates spinning is very familiar – but each plate I spin contains lots of delicious yummmy goodies that I’ve chosen to put there! BTW I have a new blog since we last connected as my golf captaincy year has come to an end – so onto my new project The Journal Writer’s Handbook. Check it out! Happy holidays.

4. Praveen December 18, 2012 at 8:51 am #

I think I am also getting overwhelmed with all the personal projects or ideas I am exploring.I am stuck & not doing anything right now but trying to restart the work…everyday..:P.
    I only one thing that this won’t last and nor will this idea or project – so enjoying them.XD

5. chubbyriceball December 20, 2012 at 12:40 am #

Hi there! I nominated you for a Liebster Award. If you are interested, take a look at my post for the rules & such :)

6. Laura4NYC January 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

I feel exactly the same way about people with no passion. It makes me sick to see that people don’t think a new hobby is important or improving life is easier than thought. That’s exactly why I chose to move to New York almost 3 years ago and gave the City a try because I knew I’d live an unfulfilled life otherwise.

And hey, as you go on, you are inspired to do new and even more awazing things. Creativity usually does not come alone, which is why your projects are getting bigger and better over time. I wish you the strength and courage to pull through! :-)

• Laura4NYC January 21, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

sorry, that was supposed to read “amazing.”