Hey Gen Y, It’s Time to Be Tenacious

8 Aug

So I have a new favorite word, guys…

It’s TENACITY.

It’s got a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

Tenacity (n.): The quality or state of being tenacious (Gee, thanks, Merriam-Webster dictionary, for nothing)

Tenacious (adj.): stubborn or persistent (Much better)

So why do I like this word so much? Why did I take the time to write a freaking post about just one single word?

BECAUSE IT’S IMPORTANT.

Now, more than ever, it’s important for us to be tenacious.

As members of Gen Y, as Millennials, as young professionals, too many people will doubt us.

Too many people will want us to fail.

Too many people will tell us that we can’t.

But you know what?

We can accomplish so much if we’re stubborn.

We can accomplish so much if we’re persistent.

And really…

I’m sure you do too.

So don’t give up.

And don’t listen to people who shoot down your dreams.

We have the ability to make a difference. We have the ability to do amazing things.

So let’s do them.

Let’s be tenacious, and prove everyone wrong.

And when things don’t go exactly as planned, just remember…

10 Responses to “Hey Gen Y, It’s Time to Be Tenacious”

1. perpetualflaneur August 8, 2012 at 5:26 am #

SImple but meaningful. Thank you for reminding me to be as tenacious as I can be. Cheers!

2. Praveen August 8, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I was reading in psychology that how career goals play the major part of life. But i thought i want more than just career. Then it came to me that for a super life goal the timescale can expand, i just have to keep going on. It would take a little extra time but i can achieve that goal.Like in Alchemist, protagonist works at places in different role and it takes a long time till he reaches his dream.
    keep moving on with a tenacious enthusiasm bubbling in you.

3. L August 8, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Reblogged this on Not So Skinny Genes and commented:
    Exactly…

4. Cassy August 8, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Amen to that. All the things worth having in your life do not come easily. If you find yourself never breaking a sweat, you aren’t working hard enough.

5. rachelmeeks August 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Needed that boost today. Simple but to the point!

6. artzent August 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

You are 200% right. Grit is what I call it. I have had students who go the way of abstraction because they lack the drive to work hard. Without exception it’s the easy way out. It takes guts and grit to create something that has true meaning for a lot of people and if you have to ask “What is it” Then what exactly is the point? It takes hard work to be good at anything; there is no way around it! But the rewards are great not the least of which is realizing that YOU DID IT!

7. Tina Del Buono August 9, 2012 at 1:06 am #

Kayla, tenacity is a great word. When I went back into the work field after my children were older and 17 years had passed. My new boss, after he was willing to hire a ” mom” said that he was so glad because I had tenacity! I am still going strong and have no intention of slowing down yet. You go girl!

8. tinaliu90 August 17, 2012 at 3:26 am #

Hey! I nominated you for Liebster Blog Award. Check it out here, please do the 11 Question tag, I wanna get to know you more =)

9. parmanifesto September 2, 2012 at 12:46 am #

I heard an older woman say that if Paul Ryan represented the younger generation, she was encouraged. Now, I have no personal problem with Paul Ryan, he’s a Wisconsin man like myself, but – he’s 42. I mean, that’s not old, but it’s not young. 28 is young. Alright, that’s not young either. But I’m 28, and I like to think I’m part of the younger generation, but obviously we’re not doing enough to be noticed by this older woman. So – yes. We have to be tenacious. I don’t know what just happened.

10. Daphne Shadows October 15, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

I hate it when the freaking dictionary uses the word to define the word you just looked up!