We Really Have No Reason To Be Unhappy

24 Jul

This weekend  kind of sucked.

First of all, we had that crazy idiot who did what he did in Aurora.

This really put things into perspective for me.

Secondly, I was in a car accident.

Again, this really put things into perspective for me.

Upon entering the workforce, I’ve witnessed a lot of things, both good and bad.

But the one thing that’s been most noticible during my experience with the “real world” is that people are generally unhappy.

People are unhappy about something and/or everything.

ALL.

OF.

THE.

TIME.

This is unfortunate and it’s stupid.

Through my research regarding Generation Y, I’ve been able to find plenty of articles that explain that my generation is the most unhappy of all. During a time in which we’re trying to discover ourselves, we’re faced with so many decisions that need to be made and we don’t know how to make them.

This makes us sad.

This makes us depressed.

Then we’ve got all the other generations…

It seems that at work, complaining about stuff  is the cool thing to do.

“I can’t believe I wasn’t invited to that meeting”

“I hate my boss”

“Jack didn’t cc me on that e-mail. How dare he?”

Really, guys?

If these are the worst of our worries, I think we’re doing okay.

Let’s stop sweating the small stuff, alright?

I think that’ll make the world a much more pleasant place to live in and it shouldn’t take a tradgedy or a near-death experience to realize this.

We should feel grateful for what we have, every day.

So next time you’re unhappy and you’re discussing one of the following:

1.  how your life is terrible
  2.  how you want to punch your boss in the face
  3.  how your life is over and you have no reason to live

Stop and think for a second.

Then kick yourself for being so dumb.

If you’re reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!

You’re alive and you have eyeballs!

And that, my friends, is enough reason to be happy.

14 Responses to “We Really Have No Reason To Be Unhappy”

1. Jasmine Maki July 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Thanks for this! There are way too many people unhappy for no reason. :)

• Kayla Cruz July 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Anytime! Sad, but true. I’m going to make sure that I do everything I can to not live my life that way and I’m sure you will too. Have a great day and thanks for reading! :)

2. Diane Neff, Ed.D. July 24, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Another great post. Thanks for reminding those of us who are lucky enough to be able to read, have time enough to read, a computer to read from, electricity to run the computer, etc., etc.

• Kayla Cruz July 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks, Diane! No problem. It’s just do easy to take these things for granted. But we shouldn’t. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week :D

3. rachelmeeks July 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Glad to hear you’re okay. I think we’ve all been getting some major wake-up calls lately, and I truly hope it changes our nation for the better.

4. justaboutagirl July 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

I love this. It is a good reminder that regardless of what we have to complain about, there is always someone who has it a bit worse than we do.

5. becca3416 July 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Any time I get down about something I try to put it in perspective with how lucky I am and how bad off others have it. Instant better mood. Great points.

6. jasoncgerringer July 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I’ve been dealing with “unhappiness” in my young adult life. It’s easy to feel bitter against the world at times. I was in the Marines, I thought serving my country, making a good living, would mean that when I got out of the Marines, I’d go to college, I’d find some way to make something of an income while going to school. I feel a lot of weight of being a father and a husband while doing all of this.

I think we’re an unhappy generation because we want it to be easy. I think we get unhappy that it’s hard, things are hard these days, and we’re having trouble coping with it. At least I think that’s how I feel. I’m tired of it being so hard.

And yet, I have a lot to be happy about. I think I just need to work on being happy about the things that I should be happy. Our generation’s problem is that we waste our time on the things that cause us to be unhappy rather than allowing ourselves to be enthralled by the things that cause our happiness.

7. StanfordGirl July 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

How about you look for reasons to be happy?
    Look at the brighter side of life, and it’ll be a treat :)

8. David July 31, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

I love that image/quote at the top. It is amazing how fortunate we are and tragic how we complain so much. Our abundance not only secures us happiness, but it gives us the duty to use it for something good in the world.

Last January I wrote an article using some similar statistics as an argument for activism. You can check it out here: http://thepostic.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/changing-the-world/

9. Kate Swaffer August 8, 2012 at 12:24 am #

I love your blogs, and wish I had time to read them every day! Keep up your writing, and your fabulous Gen Y thinking.

10. Tina Del Buono, PMAC August 10, 2012 at 2:52 am #

Hi Kayla, just an FYI that I have linked my post tomorrow to your blog. I personally experienced someone who judges Gen Y today in the market and it was just too good not to blog about. Have a great evening. :)

11. Daphne Shadows October 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

You just took words out of my head and typed them. Well, I wasn’t in a car accident but you get my meaning. Hope you’re feeling better by now! One word: chiropractor.

I agree with everything you said. Its as if we’re grasping for things to be upset over. We have so much yet we concentrate on the things that don’t really matter or we have misplaced priorities.

1. Thinking Too Much » Dear Boss: Please Be Good & Take Care of Everybody - August 11, 2012

[...] Employees?The Power Of The Disgruntled EmployeeThe Wrong Lesson for Bosses to Learn from Steve JobsWe Really Have No Reason To Be UnhappyDiane Stafford: When your boss is bad, ‘manage up’Share [...]