Just Be Nice. It Goes A Long Way.

25 Jun

It amazes me, really, how rude some people can be.

I mean, come on…I know it’s Monday and that most people don’t want to be at work but still…that’s no excuse for being mean to people.

I walk through the hallways and say good morning to everyone, always. And you know what? MAYBE 5 out of every 10 people acknowledge my presence. Like really?

Not. Cool.

And then out of those 5 that DON’T flat out ignore me, maybe 3 of them look at me as if I had told them I was going to stab them (which I’m not, obviously).

Dude, I just said good morning.

I just said hi.

I’m just being nice.

But we’re not used to that.

It seems to me that when it comes to work, people fail to remember how important it is to be nice to others. I know we all have deadlines. I know we’re all struggling with budgets. I know that we’re all working our tails off to get that next promotion so we can feel important.

But stop for a second and think about this…

If you’re mean, you’re not going to get very far. I mean, you can only pretend to be nice for a little while. Eventually, something will happen and you won’t be able to fake it anymore.

If you’re rude, if you’re a jerk, people will know.

And you know what? People tend to talk about their negative experiences a lot more often than they talk about their positive experiences.

So if you suck, people are going to talk about how much you suck, ALOT.

I know we’re at work, but work doesn’t have to be this constant battlefield of backstabbing and gossip and rude behavior.

It’s not worth it.

Go to work. Be nice to people. Make a difference.

It’s not that difficult.

18 Responses to “Just Be Nice. It Goes A Long Way.”

1. alundeberg June 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Being nice is so important! Great post! It’s amazing how easy it is to be nice, but so many people aren’t. I work with someone who really needs the cooperation of others to make her program run, but because she makes other people feel small, she has a difficult time. Life is so much easier if you’re pleasant.

2. Anne Egros, Global Executive Coach June 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I like this post ! thanks. It is much easier to be nice and more rewarding too so why people are mean for no reasons? Some drivers would prefer to kill you than giving you the way, People online make very rude and harsh comments, if you disagree make your point nicely you will get heard.

3. Tina Del Buono, PMAC June 25, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Nice post Kayla, what amazes me is that fact being nice costs nothing….it’s free to give out!

4. Michelle June 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

Yes being nice is not only more pleasant but it makes you feel better. Your post listed my all time fav saying…”It is nice to be important but more important to be nice”. I have always followed the motto of “treat others how you wante to be treated” and believe me..I do not want anyone to be mean to me so I make a huge effort not to be mean to anyone else.
    It puzzles me too Kayla why a simple smile or hello is to hard for some??????

5. av8Dr.Martin June 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Kayla, I have been a proponent of the cause of niceness for many, many years (a Y’er trapped in a Boomer body), and I have stated and supported through my doctoral research, and how I have lived my life (practice what you preach), that all of the things which will make the workplace enjoyable WILL transpire; “One Retirement at a Time”. I am only just starting see the fruits of my labors manifested — sharing this credo in every university class I teach. Thanks for being an active member of the cause. http://2bfree4life.wordpress.com/

6. Richard Wiseman June 26, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

I always applied the following maxim at work ‘Think well of everyone and follow procedures’ and took a professional attitude in that work is not personal, it’s business; meaning it wasn’t me at work it was my working face so anyone being rude didn’t matter and I was always polite to people as I knew I had to work with them.

7. Aint that the truth! Really – I hear you!

8. makingsensefromchaos June 28, 2012 at 3:17 am #

I agree and notice this daily. These mean people aren’t just mean to those they work with but those that are their clients…it is a pet peeve of mine.

9. Peter June 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

That sort of thing, people not acknowledging me, used to bother me a lot too. But then I decided that the reality of the situation it only speaks of them, not me, and actually has little, if anything, to do with me. Think of it this way; many times when your act of kindness towards the one person goes unnoticed by them, another person you do not see is noticing it and thinking what a nice person you are. That has to count for something.

10. smallivy June 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

You know, once in a while you find someone who is nice and enthusiastic, and who seems like they are glad to be doing what they are doing. I’ve seen this in engineers, managers, customer service representatives, security guards, and janitors. I even saw a gentlemen on “undercover boss” whose job it was to pump out the portoilets. You would have thought his job was to watch football and drink beer all day from his great attitude.

These people inspire me and I try to be more like them. They seem to be the ones having all the fun.

11. gomeasy July 1, 2012 at 12:16 am #

In high school, I always got a lot of crap about smiling when I walked down the hallway. But that’s just what I do… I don’t hate the world while I’m just walking to class.
    One of my friends once told me in passing that she loved how I always smiled while I was walking. I looked so happy and it made her smile!
    Later she told me she loved it because I smiled as if someone just told me a funny joke! but i was always walking alone…
    Apparently I just looked stupid, but what are ya gonna do :P
    By the way, I just thought that I’d let you know that I nominated you for the one lovely blog award!
    You can check it out at http://reset2live.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/and-the-nominees-are/

12. MMC July 1, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Everyday i see how important it is to be Nice even in the little things because you don’t know how close the reward is to blessing you back.

13. underdogcomedy July 2, 2012 at 12:28 am #

I like this! I was at a Police substation once and saw this salesman come up to the counter and told the officer at the front desk window, “Good morning.” The officer looked up at him and said nothing! Without missing a beat, the salesman then looked back at the officer and said, “I said…Good morning”, almost insisting that he get a response, which he did! The officer snapped out of whatever funk he was in and said good morning back! I stood there amazed at the power of simple words and the intelligence of how to use them!

14. fiztrainer July 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

LOL! Loved this post. I’m not sure where you live or work. I’m out here in the east coast near New York and I find this attitude to be very prevalent out here. I don’t think people are necessarily unfriendly, just caught up in their own worlds. I’ve lived in other places and I think it can depend on where you live. When I lived in PA, I found I was the one who would look at someone like they had 3 heads if they said hi to me because I was conditioned to a keep to yourself sort of mentality, so when someone was nice to me just for the sake of being nice, I was very suspicious.

I have learned that people are just caught in their own world. Not an excuse … just an observation. There were two women who I worked with when I was about your age. They were in their 40’s. I’m thinking they were threatened by me because they disliked me for really no reason at all. I would come in and say hi which was the cue for them to huddle together and throw off their “ignore her” powers towards me. So, after a while, I would come in and say, “Hi!” (very annoyingly cheerful I’m sure) and then answer myself (as if from them), “Hi! How was your weekend?” To which I would say, “O, great! Thanks for asking!” This went on for weeks, and my bantering back and forth to myself got a bit longer and more humorous. Finally, I broke them. Over the years, I’ve found that humor tends to break the coldest of people. When I can laugh at their weaknesses in a subtle way, people tend to end up laughing with me. :D

15. StanfordGirl July 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Reblogged this on StanfordGirl.

16. shammee September 9, 2012 at 4:57 am #

Your posts provoke enthusiasm ,you seem optimistic at the same time realistic too , thats a great combination.
    Would be coming back to look for more …. :)

17. broadsideblog October 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Yes, but….This is indeed regionally influenced and also by industry. I work in news journalism where perky/chatty is often seen as lightweight, not “nice.” I also work in NYC.

It’s also cultural. Americans are very heavily socialized from childhood to be “nice” when other nations (I grew up in Canada to age 30) are not taught this and even disdain it (have you been to France?)

The opposite of nice/outgoing is not, per se, rude but reserved. That can look cold or “unfriendly” but some of us simply don’t want to be friendly to everyone for a variety of reasons. I’ll be polite and civil and if I like you, sure, we’ll laugh and chat. But for some people, work is work and staying focused and even being an introvert are who *they* are as well. Diversity matters…

1. Why having Friends doesn’t make us friendly « LIFE is unwritten - July 2, 2012

[...] also recommend checking out this post from a wonderful fellow blogger! Rate this:Share this:EmailMoreDiggShare on TumblrPrintLike [...]