Stop Worrying, It’s A Waste

11 Jun

I’m a terrible driver. I could lie and say that I have AMAZING driving skills but I won’t. Instead, I’m telling you straight up—I’m awful.

So for that reason I was on the verge of a panic attack two days ago driving to my boyfriend’s house because there was a HUGE FREAKING STORM.

I mean really, I couldn’t see anything. AT ALL. It was pretty scary. To make matters worse, I was hungry so I needed to get food on the way home unless I wanted to starve and die.

But I didn’t have an umbrella.

So the entire time that I was driving, I was worried. I was trying to logistically coordinate how get food without getting a pneumonia. Pneumonias are not fun.

But I was so busy trying to figure this out that I failed to realize one minor detail…

It wasn’t raining anymore.

The storm had passed and it was incredibly sunny.

As soon as I realized this, I started laughing by myself like a complete idiot.

Here I was stressing out about something that was no longer an issue. And you know what? I think this happens a whole lot.

I think a lot of times we worry about things in the future and more often than not, it’s a complete waste of time.

Why?

Because we don’t know what the weather’s going to be like five minutes from now. One minute it’s stormy. The next, it’s sunny. So what’s the use of worrying?

Stop stressing so much about the future. Focus instead on the present. What’s going on in your life RIGHT NOW that has you worried? The stuff that’s going on RIGHT NOW, that’s really all you have control over anyway.

And like the picture at the top of this post says…if there’s stuff that you CAN solve, then there’s no reason to worry. Stop worrying and

And if there’s other stuff that you CAN’T fix, that you CAN’T solve, that you CAN’T do anything about, then why waste your time worrying?

Instead of worrying, set a new goal. Join a club. Discover a new passion. Learn a new language. Go be nice to someone. Read a book.

Because at least those things are productive.

In an environment that’s constantly changing, the best that we can do is to learn to adapt. Learn to be flexible. Learn to embrace change. Worrying about the future isn’t a good use of our time because we don’t know what it’ll be like. The only thing that we do know, is that things will be different. Things will change, they always do.

So rather than strategically planning every aspect of your life and worrying about things you’re not even sure of, spend more time enjoying the present and being open to change. That’ll make your life a lot less stressful.

19 Responses to “Stop Worrying, It’s A Waste”

1. ivonprefontaine June 11, 2012 at 2:34 am #

Kalya, this is great advice. We spend an incredible amount of time and energy trying to solve those things we cannot solve.

2. L June 11, 2012 at 2:42 am #

So true, I find myself worrying about the future more than I’d like to. It’s hard sometimes not to, and the worry gets away from us. Taking a step back and either doing something to make the situation better or accepting the cards you’ve been dealt are great ways to put your life in perspective.

3. Candy June 11, 2012 at 2:51 am #

So true! I worry way too much even when there’s nothing I can do to fix it. Great blog!

4. Tina Del Buono, PMAC June 11, 2012 at 3:43 am #

Great post Kayla, nice to hear from you!

5. Praveen June 11, 2012 at 3:55 am #

I stick to the same philosophy in life. But you know tension/anxiety creeps in when everyone is worrying & you are not. They start expecting you to show ‘their’ sense of situation. That’s when it ticks me off & imbalance occurs.

6. quetzalcotl June 11, 2012 at 5:23 am #

I spent four years in college worrying about what I’ll do after a graduate. Now that I’m finally there, I’m not stressing about it anymore. I’ve never felt happier.

7. rdopping June 11, 2012 at 10:15 am #

It’s awesome that life experience shows us the way and it’s better when someone realizes it and uses it as a way to learn. Productivity depends a lot on spending your time wisely and spending it concerned about things that will happen depletes your ability to be strategic and also enjoy your life.

What’s more, once you understand the why behind what has happened there is no need to hang onto issues that have occured unless you never learn from them. Now that’s a different story.

Thanks for the thoughtful words Kayla. Bravo!

8. futuredoll June 11, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Perfect post for me today! I worry about things that no one else even cares about! And worse there is nothing I can do about them anyway!

9. shimmeshine June 11, 2012 at 11:18 am #

We all do this, worry about something which doesn’t deserve our time and attention at all, that includes me too !!
    Gradually I am learning to focus all my energy on what I should do to make life happier :)

10. Diane Neff, Ed.D. June 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

What a great reminder, and I love that you focused on doing something when you can make changes. Love your blog!

11. archijeks June 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Thumbs up! This is why I love this blog :) sends off that good vibes just when I need it :D

12. RalanEnterprisesLLC ELLAMENTAL June 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

S.M.I.L.E.

13. Donnaly Y June 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Great post! Something I definitely needed to hear, as I am transition from college to work life.

14. joannahearttoheart June 12, 2012 at 12:17 am #

I love your post!! keep ‘em coming :)

15. Ramses June 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Great post. Have a great day.

16. LaureanneCamille June 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Hey awesome post …I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award.
    Visit: http://camillesimsuangco.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/versatile-blogger-award-6/

17. Michelle June 13, 2012 at 1:35 am #

How true! I used to be the Queen of worrying….I was so great at it that as soon as I finished with one one worry I would instantly replace it with another. I must have loved it so much that I often juggled many worries at once…that was until I came to the same realisation as you 1. It get’s you nowhere and 2. It is a waste of time and energy.

One of my fav sayings that helps:

“Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference”.Reinhold Niebuhr

and another….

“Yesterday’s the past, tommorrow’s the future. Today is a gift which is why they call it a present” Bill Keane
    Here’s to less worry and more living!

18. Kate Swaffer June 17, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Your story made me smile inside… thankyou! It reminds me of one of my philosophies, learnt from a woman in NZ many years ago;

“when a ‘problem’ or ‘worry’ presents itself, ask yourself “will it be a problem in a year?” If it will, then FIX IT NOW, if it won’t, then FORGET IT NOW”

This has served me well.

19. missbeenicole August 21, 2012 at 1:14 am #

So what I needed to read tonight. And yet, still such a difficult thing to make my brain believe!